Discover your inside story with AncestryDNA®

August 21, 2017

Finding a Yorkshire England Ancestor

Recently I discovered a goldmine of information my husband's Yorkshire Elgie ancestors. His Elgie ancestors lived in North Yorkshire, and while researching that area I discovered the North Yorkshire archives website.

A search of the North Yorkshire County Record Office online catalogue using their "Quick Catalogue Search" box resulted in 32 "hits" for the surname Elgie.

Clicking on each one in turn brings up more details, including reference numbers which are needed to order copies of the full document.


Not being able to find an online form or method of ordering documents online I wrote to the
the North Yorkshire Archives (Archives@northyorks.gov.uk) with this email:
Hello
I have found several records for my ELGIE family that I would like to order from your online index of your catalogue.
I was not able to find how to submit my request for copies. I am happy to have digital copies sent by email but I can accept them in any format you use.
There are 5 items - here is one example:
1818 papers for the opinion of the Justices relating to the petitions of John White and William Elgie insolvent debtors [2 items] [North Riding of Yorkshire Quarter Sessions. Easter Quarter Sessions. Document QSB 1818 2/14]

Can I send you a list of document numbers by email to order copies?
Thank you for any help you can offer me.
It didn't take long before I received an email from the North Yorkshire County Record Office with the following information:

If you would like to order copies, payment can be made by cheque payable to North Yorkshire County Council and sent to us at The County Record Office, Malpas Road, Northallerton, North Yorkshire DL7 8TB. We can also accept payment by credit or debit card (except American Express), but we advise that you let us know card details by post or telephone, as we cannot guarantee the security of information sent electronically.  Our telephone number is 01609 777585.
Next I mailed (old school postal) my request along with my credit card information and within a few weeks I had copies of five documents ranging from 1797 to 1822 for the Elgie ancestor of interest. The cost for those five documents was $20.00 Canadian. How amazing is that! And from the documents I learned, among other things, that my husband's 5th great-grandfather William Elgie was in debtor's prison in York when he requested a pardon so he could leave prison and repay his debts.

If you have North Yorkshire ancestors you should give this site a good look.

3 comments:

Gail Roger said...

My husband not only has North Yorkshire ancestors; he has Elgie ancestors!

My husband's great-great-great-great-great-uncle is also a William Elgie, born in Brompton by Northallerton in 1756, the fifth of the six children (of whom I'm aware) of John Elgie and Jane Elizabeth Jackson, my husband's ggggg-grandparents.

My husband is descended from one of William's younger brothers, my husband's gggg-grandfather Thomas Elgie who became a solicitor and whose sons became solicitors. Ending up in debtors' prison seems to have been an Elgie thing!

My husband's ggg-grandfather Charles William Elgie, another solicitor, spent time in the Debtors' Prison for London and Middlesex (probably the White Cross-Street Prison, St Luke's, London) in 1846.

Are your ggggg-grandfather William and my husband's ggggg-uncle the same person?

I'll certainly have a look at the NYCRO!

Olive Tree Genealogy said...

Hi Susan

I'm afraid they aren't the same man but no doubt they are related somehow. My husband's line is:

Ralph Elgie m Elizabeth Howthwaite
William Elgie m Anna Adamson
Ralph Elgie m Joanna Sherwood
William Elgie b 1708 m Tamar Appleton
William Elgie b 1763 m Jane Walker
William Elgie b 1793 m Mary Ann Watson - they left Yorkshire and came to Ontario Canada ca 1830.

Gail Roger said...

Yes, William Elgie and Anna Adamson are my husband's ggggggg-grandparents.
His line continues: Henry Robeson Elgie m. Ann (whose maiden name I don't yet know);
John Elgie m. 1748 Jane Elizabeth Jackson at St Helen Ainderby-Steeple, Yorkshire;
Thomas Elgie m.1776 Cicily Hickes at St-Martin-Micklegate-with-St Gregory, York, Yorkshire;
Matthew Elgie m. 1809 Ann Bunby at St Mary Le Wigford Lincoln, Lincolnshire;
Charles William Elgie m. 1836 at St Andrew Holborn, London and 1838 at St Mary Cheltenham, Gloucestershire (they appeared to have married twice!) Harriet Hammond Croose;
Georgiana Elgie m. 1872 Edward Wolff at St Paul Chiswick, Grove Park, Brentford, Middlesex

Georgiana's and Edward's grandson is my late father-in-law, who emigrated to Canada in 1927.